Who is a 'Truant?'
A "truant" is defined as a child subject to compulsory school attendance and who is absent without a valid cause. This is an unexcused absence.
What is a valid cause for a school absence?
Who is a "Chronic or habitual truant?"
- Observance of a religious holiday
- Death in immediate family
- Family emergency
- Other situation beyond the control of the student as determined by the district's board of education in each district. Needs to be a specific board policy.
A child subject to compulsory school attendance who is absent without valid cause from such attendance for 5% or more of the previous 180 regular attendance days..
Truancy Petition Steps
Steps in moving toward truancy petition to the State's Attorney Office.
- After the third day of unexcused absences a letter is mailed to the home from the building principal stating:
A. Days Absent
B. Next step will be a mandatory appearance at a Local Truancy Review Board.
- After the sixth (6th) day of unexcused absences a letter is mailed home from district office stating time, date, and location of their appearance at a local truancy review board. (Local truancy review board designs districts interventions for the truant.)
- After the ninth (9th) day of unexcused absences a letter mailed to home from ROE stating time, date, and location of their appearance at the Regional Truancy Review Board. (This Review Board designs interventions for truant students.)
- After nine unexcused absences and an appearance before the Regional Truancy Review Board, a petition may be filed with the St. Clair County State's Attorney.
- After students reaches 3 days of unexcused attendance, principal or designee sends 3-day letter.
- After 6 days of unexcused absences, a letter is sent from the District Superintendent stating the time and place for the Local Review Board Hearing.
- After 9 days of unexcused absences, the school district notifies the Regional Office of Education and a notification letter to appear before the Regional Truancy Hearing Board will be mailed.
THE ROE WILL NEED THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS TO PROCEED WITH THE REGIONAL TRUANCY REVIEW BOARD HEARINGS:
- A. Student Referal Form - Local Outcome form
- B. Copy of the 3 day Letter
- C. Truancy Fact Sheet - Truancy Not To Be Taken Lightly
- D. Copy of the 6 day letter
- E. State's Attorney Letter
- F. Student & Parent Questionaire
- G. Student SIS Number
- H. Student Service Action Plan
- I. Demographic Sheet
- J. Truancy Interventions
- K. Official Attendance Record
Notice to appear before the Regional Truancy Review Board after 9 days of unexcused absences
- Richard Andell will process the 9 day letter after contact from the appropriate school personnel
- Tijuana Macon, Truancy Case Manager, will notify TRB Board for scheduled TRB Hearings
Regional Review Board Hearings
- Held on Wednesdays, (changes noted on schedule) at the ROE at 1:00 p.m. provided all information has been submitted to Richard Andell. Richard's contact number is: 618-825-3904.
- Persons Present
- Student and Parent
- Hearing Officer - Brad Harriman
- Truancy & Mental Health Case Manger - Tijuana Macon, will monitor student attendance and recommendations of the Truancy Review Board
- Social Service Agency Representatives
- Appropriate School Personnel (if applicable)